Saint Mark's Logo Saint Mark's Title

The Organs of Saint Mark's

The Flentrop

Flentrop

The main organ of St. Mark’s Cathedral was an extraordinary accomplishment when it was installed in 1965. Designed and built by the Dutch firm of D. A. Flentrop, the organ now contains 3,944 pipes, ranging in size from 32 feet to less than one inch. The pipes are made of either a tin and lead alloy, cured copper, African and/or Brazilian mahogany. The organist may select from 58 speaking stops distributed over four manuals and pedal. While not the first, St. Mark’s Flentrop is one of the largest 20th century organs employing mechanical key action, and its success has influenced organ building through the United States and remains a landmark instrument of international note. A major restoration of the organ was completed by Paul Fritts Organ Builders of Tacoma, WA, in 1993-1994.

Click here for additional information and photos of the Flentrop.

Marion Camp Oliver Organ

The Thomsen Chapel organ of 18 stops was built in 2003 by Paul Fritts and is a gift from Marion Garrison. This beautiful two-manual tracker-action instrument contains front pipes of tin, carved and gilded pipe-shades, and a fumed oak case matching the furnishings of the recently restored chapel.

Click here for additional information and photos of the Marion Camp Oliver organ.

Other Organs

The Pasi Continuo/Portative Organ, built by Martin Pasi of Roy, WA, was also a gift from Marion Garrison. The one manual organ has three stops at 8’, 4’ and 2’ pitches. Compact in its design, the positiv organ can be moved to almost any location in the Cathedral.

A nine-stop organ, built by the German firm of Werner Bosch is on loan to the cathedral and is located in the southwest corner of the Nave.

Saint Mark's Cathedral
1245 Tenth Avenue East
Seattle, WA 98102
206.323.0300